Friday, October 6, 2017

How Do You Feel About Class Dojo?

An article in the Wall Street Journal, dated October 4, 2017, titled "See if Your Child Is Listening in Class", by Anne Marie Chaker, made me wonder.  Do parents like feedback about how their child is doing every day in class?

I hear of teachers texting parents every day to let them know about their child's behavior.  This takes a lot of time if you have more than one student you have to keep up with.

The article states, "To some parents, notification throughout the day are intrusive.  So I wonder, what parents don't want the information?  Do you like to keep what happens at school separate from your home life?

"A big goal of ClasDojo, say teachers who use the app, is to keep parents better connected to what's going on in class."  Teachers can use Dojo points for independent rewards per students and/or as a whole class incentive.  The students are alerted by a 'sound' in our classrooms.  I don't like it when teachers take away points.  My thought is that the student earned that point.  It doesn't make sense to 'unearn' it.  I would rather everyone else get another point but that is the way I try to motivate.

As a special educator, we call that negative reinforcer.  At some point, a student won't do anything because when they do they lose it all later so it just does not matter.

Do let me know, as a parent, what do you think of this tool and do your teachers use it.  Thanks!

https://www.classdojo.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment