Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Helping Your Child Read - Use their story!

I had two boys who did not want to read.  When we went to the library to pick out books, they always picked nonfiction like electricity or magnets.  Why did they not like to read stories.  Reading for me was an escape.  It was travel.  It was a way to meet interesting people.

Now that most people have technology - ie computers at home.  Writing a story that your child can read to others is a great way to get your child reading.  If you tell your child to write a story about their birthday party or a vacation,  you will probably not have much.  You need to type their story on the computer.  I usually have the student sit next to me.

Step 1 - Decide what you are going to write about.  Have a set topic that is not too open.  For example - write about three things you liked about your week of summer camp and the three things you did not like about your week of summer camp. Versus - what you did for summer vacation.  This is too broad.

Step 2 - Brainstorm about the topic.  I do this on a piece of paper.  I try to have the student answer the "W" questions.  Who was there?  Why did this event happen? Where was this taking place?  What was taking place.

Step 3 - Start writing.  They younger the child the smaller the writing.  I let the student dictate to me and I type as fast as I can.  We read what I have typed and make some corrections as we go along.  I try to use a three paragraph template when students are in third or fourth grade.

  • Paragraph 1 is the introduction.  What are you writing about.  What do you plan to write about. Example:  My week at summer camp was in June.  I had a great time because I was in the woods.
  • Paragraph 2 is the body.  Now you would include details about the event.  I always try to include at least three.
  • Paragraph 3 is the conclusion.  Example: I had a great time at summer camp.  I hope I can go again but this time bring a friend.  I think it will be even a better experience because I know what to expect.  I will be able to share what is going to happen with my friend.


Step 4 - Use vocabulary.  If you know your child has some trouble with a few words.  Try to use those words in your story.  I like to use 'sight' words based on the student's grade.

Step 5 - Add pictures.  It is great to use your personal pictures for their story.

Step 6 - Print. Reread. Edit. Repeat as needed.

Step 7 - Have your child read their story to interested parties.  Use facetime to read it to out of town family.

Let me know if this works for you or if you need more details on how to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment